A survey of computer use in Scottish primary care: General practitioners are no longer technophobic but other primary care staff need better computer access

Libby Morris*, Jo Dumville, L. Malcolm Campbell, Frank Sullivan

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

23 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objective. To describe the use of computing systems by primary care staff in Scotland. Participants. Practice managers in Scotland on behalf of their pratice teams. Methods. A survey of computer use in Scottish general practices was carried out by the Scottish Clinical Information Management in Primary Care (SCIMP) group in April 2001. Every practice was sent an electronic copy of a questionnaire using NHSnet. Practices that did not respond to the electronic version were sent a paper version of the questionnaire. Maine outcome measures. Acess to computers, use during consultations, links to laboratories, problems experienced by users. Results. A total of 308 practices (30%) replied to the electronic questionnaire and 346 practices (33%) to a paper version, giving an overall response rate of 63% (654 practices). A total of 296 (29%) of practices could not receive the electronic version. It was reported that 94% of general practitioners and 74% of practice nurses frequently used a computer; 72% of practices used their computer for chronic disease management. There was great variability in links to laboratories for lab results (range 1-30% by region). Of responding practices, 16% had plans for a unified patient record, but access to a computer is still a major problem for community nurses. Satisfaction was expressed for all systems and many practices alson use third-party programs. Conclusions. Most Scottish doctors make frequent use of computers for a variety of clinical and practice management activities. Many other staff want to make greater use of computers, but are often unable to obtain access.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)5-11
Number of pages7
JournalInformatics in Primary Care
Volume11
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 1 Dec 2003

Keywords

  • Computer use
  • Health informatics
  • Primary care
  • Scotland

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'A survey of computer use in Scottish primary care: General practitioners are no longer technophobic but other primary care staff need better computer access'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this